Five Ways to Engage Your Class Today
by Katie Kinder
1. Stage your room! Hook your students into your curriculum by staging your room in a different way. That could be rearranging desks into tables to form small socratic seminars. Draping curtains on your windows to create a certain mood. The sky’s the limit!
2. Build movement into your lesson every day! It could be a simple brain break or create partners across the room in which they must collaborate with, and then return to their seats. Gallery Walks, Carousel, Silent Debates on paper! There are a plethora of ways to build movement into your classroom.
Get Katie Kinder for your next PD!
We’re booking dates now for our very own Katie Kinder. Bring her to your school for an amazing day of professional development. Don’t wait, dates are filling up!
3. Props! What prop can you bring in that will up your engagement today? The Talking Fake Candle of Power? That dollar tree skeleton hand? That squishy football you throw around your room when you ask kids to answer a question?
4. Greet your kids at the door by name every day. Education research says your classroom engagement goes up by 30 percent just by greeting kids at the door. Now that is just plain easy wins!
5. Gamification! What can you gamify to up your engagement? Family Feud style? Jeopardy. Kahoot. GimKit. Blooket. Scattergories. The options are limitless.
Author & Speaker
Katie Kinder has been an educator since 2006. She believes that life is fun, and learning should most definitely be fun. A teacher of the year, top five district finalist, OKC Rotary Teacher of the Month, professional development leader, and a top 100 educator in Oklahoma on Twitter, Katie has learned a trick or two in the classroom.
Would you like Katie Kinder to come to your school as a Professional Development Speaker? Reach out today!